Final Displacement was larger than value I set

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

tthdl

Final Displacement was larger than value I set

Post by tthdl »

Hi everyone, I'm doing a pushover analysis on a 2d RC frame, but I encoutered a problem.

That is the displacement of the pushover was larger than the value I set. Say, I wanted to push 100 mm, but the final result was 150 mm.

I've look up on the internet, they said is because the nonlinear of the structure and the materials.

I tried many ways but no good solves.

Could anyone please tell me why? and how to fix the problem.

Thank you very much!
selimgunay

Re: Final Displacement was larger than value I set

Post by selimgunay »

It should be 100 mm at the control node that you use for pushover. At which node are you getting 150 mm and which node is the one that you apply the displacements in pushover?
tthdl

Post by tthdl »

selimgunay wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:28 pm It should be 100 mm at the control node that you use for pushover. At which node are you getting 150 mm and which node is the one that you apply the displacements in pushover?
I applied 100 mm at the control node for pushover, and the control node was at the top of the structure. In the end, the result shows the displacement of the control node was 150 mm.
selimgunay

Post by selimgunay »

Could you post your tcl file?