How to release bending moment at the end of a beamColumn ele

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

tguha

How to release bending moment at the end of a beamColumn ele

Post by tguha »

Hello,
Can someone suggest a way to release bending moment at the end nodes (I and J node) of a beamColumn element that is not co-aligned to any of the principal axes (Global X, Y and Z axes). I understand one way to accomplish this, if the beamColumn element is aligned to the Global X,Y,Z axes (that is the local axes of the element is co-aligned to the Global axes), is to use a MP Constraint with EqualDof command (Master and Slave node created at the same location in space) and then release the corresponding constraints of the slave node with respect to the master. But how to go about the process when the beamColumn element is inclined to the Global coordinate system such that the local coordinates x, y and z for the element are inclined at an angle with respect to Global X, Y and Z.

Thanks
Tushar Kanti Guha
fmk
Site Admin

Re: How to release bending moment at the end of a beamColumn

Post by fmk »

ine option would be to rotate the frame itself .. another might be to use zeroLength hinges and specify the orientation, and gave stiff materials for all but the dof you wanted to be constrained you possibly could do it .. i would check with a small model first.