BeamWithHinge Element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

nbazaraa

BeamWithHinge Element

Post by nbazaraa »

Dear Frank,

I have modeled a 2-bay single story steel self centering moment resisiting frame with a posttensioning strands and energy dissipation bars. The project aims to validate the progressive collapse of the frame in 2D against experimental work by applying a pushdown dispalcment control on the centre column which its constraints are removed to allow free downward translation.

My problem is the gap opening at contact area beteween beams ends and column vertical flange. When I model the beams and columns as ForceBeamColumn or DisplacementBeamColumn the gap opens perfectly, but when I use the BeamWithHinge elements instead the gap won't open dispite the translation of the centre column.

My second question is '' which set of analysis specs is appropriate for gap opening and pushover nonlinear analysis ''

Thank you for your highly appreciated response,
nbazaraa

Re: BeamWithHinge Element

Post by nbazaraa »

It is ok now. It was just a mistake with the elastic stiffness assignment.
Thanks any way.
rejina

Re: BeamWithHinge Element

Post by rejina »

Hi,

Can you tell me how did you simulate post-tensioned strands in your model? I am also working on the self-centering wall, and using ElasticPPGap material to represent post-tensioned strands shows crash report. I am unaware why it's showing such error. I would be grateful if you could help me out.