Beam End Release

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

fabriziocornali
Location: University of Bergamo, Dalmine (BG), IT; Tufts University, Medford, MA, US

Beam End Release

Post by fabriziocornali »

Hi everybody!
I'm new with OpenSees software.
I was looking for the command to model a release of the constraints at the ends in a beam, could anybody kindly tell me what is right command to do it?

Thanks
Fabrizio
skamalzare

Re: Beam End Release

Post by skamalzare »

Hi - You can use:

remove sp $nodeTag $dof

Regards,
Soheil
---
PhD, EIT, Geotechnical Engineer
Condon-Johnson & Associates INC
fabriziocornali
Location: University of Bergamo, Dalmine (BG), IT; Tufts University, Medford, MA, US

Thank you skamalzare for the advice!
But this command works only on the node and not on the end of the element, right? So in a joint with one column and one beam converging in the same node, if I want to release the rotation in the end of the beam how can I do? I need to create a second node for the end of beam and after that I need to design a Zero Length element for connection between the node at the top of the column and the node at the of beam, right?

Best

Fabrizio
fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk »

at the moment you have to add 2 nodes at beam end location .. use equalDOF to tie the translational dof together, leave the rotational dof independent.
fabriziocornali

thank you fmk for your precious advice!
Best
Fabrizio