Section Deformations in 2D modeling

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

nbazaraa

Section Deformations in 2D modeling

Post by nbazaraa »

In modeling 2D beam as nonlinearBeamColumn element with I-section formed by fibers, how can check the section deformation, for example web buckling???? or should I go for 3D to check the web buckling of the beam's web??? does section deformation recorder command shows the lateral displacements of fibers ???
Also how can display section deformations??
fmk
Site Admin

Re: Section Deformations in 2D modeling

Post by fmk »

plane sections remain plane with the fiber section .. you can ask to record the section deformations .. for 2d this will be axial and rotational deformation .. if you want to model web buckling of the elements you will need to go to a full 3d continuum model and through in some imperfections to get the models to behave as in real life, i.e.. buckling.
nbazaraa

Re: Section Deformations in 2D modeling

Post by nbazaraa »

Thank you so much dear Frank. For my project, the last option would be the continuum model due to the complications of results interpretations that increases computations time. I am going to remove web buckling failure criteria from my model by ensuring that the beam meets code min requirements and live happily with the simplified model in OpenSees, I love it...
Thanks again