ZeroLength Orientation in Navigator

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

kovacsma

ZeroLength Orientation in Navigator

Post by kovacsma »

Hello,

Playing around in Navigator to build my model, I have discovered a couple of different menu items related to ZeroLength elements. I chose the path of simply defining two nodes at the same location, placing an (undefined) element between those two nodes, Defining a ZeroLength element, and Assigning that element Type to that element.

I wanted the local axis in the opposite direction (-1 0 0 in global coordinates), because I am applying an elastic no tension material there. So I managed to succeed in rotating the axis by simply reassigning the local axes on the element, as a standard command in OpenSees -- but that command does not let me define the y-axis as up... Not a big deal. I wonder though, what is this option, "Edit > Element > Add/Delete ZeroLength Element..."? In that dialogue box, I can identify an element number, and check off "start" and/or "end"... But clicking either Add or Delete does not appear to do anything to the model. I cannot find the code that it affects in the tcl files either.

Any experienced advice would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Mike
aschellenberg

Re: ZeroLength Orientation in Navigator

Post by aschellenberg »

Please update to the latest version, since I have fixed a few bugs.

First you can use the Assign->Element->Local Axes to define the local x-axis of the zeroLength element.
Second you can use the Assign->Element->Rotations to rotate the element around the local x-axis which will allow you to define the local y-axis as up.

Finally, the Edit->Element->Add/Delete ZeroLength Element option allows you to automatically add or delete zeroLength elements at the ends (nodeI or nodeJ) of frame elements, such as beamColumn elements. It will not do anything if you try to use this on other types of elements such as zeroLength elements, quads, or bricks.