ElastomericBearing Element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

duyduan

ElastomericBearing Element

Post by duyduan »

Dear members,

I am modelling a structure considering lead-rubber bearings (LBRs). I use the "elastomericbearing" element to model the LBRs.
However, in the command for this element, I am unclear How to define the UniaxialMaterial in axial (P) and also in torsional (T), moment around local y-axis (My) and moment around local z-axis (Mz) directions. Cound anyone help me to explain this problem?

Thank you in advance

(element elastomericBearingPlasticity $eleTag $iNode $jNode $kInit $fy $alpha1 $alpha2 $mu -P $matTag -T $matTag -My $matTag -Mz $matTag <-orient <$x1 $x2 $x3> $y1 $y2 $y3> <-shearDist $sDratio> <-doRayleigh> <-mass $m>)
duyduan

Re: ElastomericBearing Element

Post by duyduan »

Please help me!!!
fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk »

the oreintation is optional, so unless you have the bearing oriented at some angle you can probably leave alone.

as for the axial and torsional properties, use the unixaialMaterial command to create some material that corrsponds to the axial and torsional properties of the bearing. you should probably choose an Elastic material to start.
duyduan

Post by duyduan »

Thank you very much for your answers Prof. McFrank
satis

Post by satis »

I think it is beter if you use a uniaxialmaterial "hysteretic" for the axial properties, whereas using uniaxialmaterial elastic for torsional properties.