Total VS Plastic Curvature

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Luisa

Total VS Plastic Curvature

Post by Luisa »

Does the argument "deformation" in element recorders (recorder element ... section $secNum "deformation") accounts for the "total curvature"?! If so, how to record "plastic curvatures" then?!
Luisa

Re: Total VS Plastic Curvature

Post by Luisa »

Anybody could comment on my question?!
fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk »

they are the total curvature .. you cannot record the plastic curvature (we do not keep track of the elastic and plastic portions)
Luisa

Post by Luisa »

Thanks for your reply, but here: http://opensees.berkeley.edu/community/ ... =2&t=62056 you said that there is an option to obtain an estimate of the plastic deformations!! I think we can calculate the yield rotation (using the formulas in ASCE-41 for example) and then the plastic rotation will be the total rotation (recorded in OpenSees) minus the yield rotation ... Am I right sir?!
fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk »

that is to obtain an estimate of the plastic rotations from the force beam column elements (the result returned is an "approximation" based on initial element stiffness, current applied resisting forces and current end displacements) .. you could do something similar manually in post-processing.