Fiber section integration rule

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

alnagme

Fiber section integration rule

Post by alnagme »

Hi everyone,

I'm concerned about how many fibers should I use in a concrete section in order to achieve good results. In one of the last webinars, "Advanced Scripting Tips and Techniques", Mr McKenna recommended using a very little number of fibers (e.g. 4x4 for core, 4 for each side of cover), and I'm kind of amazed because it does work! It seems like the code uses an integration rule different from a simple band scheme. Can anybody explain to me briefly what integration rule does OpenSees use, or refer any information to me?

Thanks
fmk
Site Admin

Re: Fiber section integration rule

Post by fmk »

there is no integration rule used by the FiberSections .. it is simply area of fiber times material property .. not sure why as i did no write it .. possibly as section changes shape and material over depth for the types of sections we deal with .. something for you to play with if you have the time and inclination .. one of the sections for the plate element uses a gauss lobotto integration, but the one for the layered section (concrete and steel layers) does not.