Problem in using ZeroLengthInterface2D

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

songwang

Problem in using ZeroLengthInterface2D

Post by songwang »

Hi,

From the manual, it is said that "zeroLengthInterface2D is Node-to-Segment (NTS) frictional contact element used in two dimensional analysis for contact between elements. Please notice that any number of DOF (DOF>1) can be handled using this element (i.e. beam-solid, solid-solid as well as beam-beam contact) as oppose to zeroLengthContactNTS2D element)

Therefore, I use this element to model the friction interface between a beam and the ground, both are assigned to be 2 dimension 3 dof as follows:

"element zeroLengthInterface2D 30 -sNdNum 9 -mNdNum 9 –dof 3 3 -Nodes 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 32 31 30 29 27 25 24 23 22 1e8 1e8 40"

However, when I run the program, I got such error message:

"ZeroLengthContactNTS2d - Written by Roozbeh G. Mikola and N.Sitar, UC Berkeley
ZeroLegnthInterface2D:: expecting -sdof in element zeroLengthInterface2D eleTag? -sNdNum sNdNum? -mNdNum mNdNum? -dof sdof? mdof? -Nodes Nodes? Kn? Kt? phi?
TclElementCommand -- unable to create element of type : zeroLengthInterface2D"

Does anyone have any idea about this? Does this element not apply to 3dof to 3dof case? Because the examples in the manual only have 2dof to 3dof case and 2dof to 2dof case.

I appreciated any idea and suggestion.