Compiling OpenSeesMP

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

reagan

Compiling OpenSeesMP

Post by reagan »

I'm trying to compile OpenSeesMP 2.4.0 on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 workstation, however the instructions I found on the wiki (http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... x_Machines) seem to be specific to OpenSeesMP 2.3.2... Are the instructions much different for OpenSeesMP 2.4.0...?

I seem to have found newer versions of some of the listed packages, but don't know if they'll be compatible...

Also, if packages like tcl, mpich2, berkeleydb, lapack and blas are already installed from Red Hat repositories, would the source code of these packages still need to be downloaded while compiling the OpenSeesMP code...? Is the Activetcl mentioned in the instructions different from the tcl installed via the Red Hat repositories...?
jamesgu

Re: Compiling OpenSeesMP

Post by jamesgu »

Hi Reagan,
Would you please share your experience how to compile it with installed packages? The cluster to be installed has openMPI (mpich2 cannot be installed) and MKL with blas and lapack.
reagan

Post by reagan »

I actually didn't manage to build OpenSeesMP myself, and finally requested Frank to help us build it.

I, however, recently learnt that if you have the MPI libraries installed, then just setting the version of the executable to be built to "PARALLEL_INTERPRETER" should build the OpenSeesMP executable without the parallel solver, MUMPS. If you want to build using MUMPS, I gather the build process is more involved. I'm frankly not sure if OpenMPI would work instead of MPICH2, but I guess you could give it a shot.
reagan

Post by reagan »

Update: I just built OpenSeesMP with OpenMPI and it worked fine.