Which unit of measure have I used in the SI.

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

nicola27

Post by nicola27 »

N, m, s, end for mass kg.
Thanks.
nicola27

Curiosity on the analysis

Post by nicola27 »

The analysis of the examples on the site OpenSees, they are sufficient for a simple building concrete.
If you want, you can respond in Italian.
Thanks.
vesna

Re: Which unit of measure have I used in the SI.

Post by vesna »

OpenSees is unitless. You as a user can choose any set of units for your model, but make sure to be consistent.
mokiao

Post by mokiao »

vesna wrote:
> OpenSees is unitless. You as a user can choose any set of units for your
> model, but make sure to be consistent.
Hi, Vesna.

I know OpenSees is unitless. But I have a question. I model a zerolength element using saws material, one version is using kN, mm, sec, another is using kips, in, sec. after running the same ground motion with different g (9800 mm/sec^2 and 386.4 in/sec^2), they got different displacements from the same node. I have compared the displacements with the same unit (mm), however, only the first 300 numbers are close, the rest of the results are totally different. I wonder is it because of the nonlinear behavior of saws material? It seems does not make any sense. Can you try to help me think about it?

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.
vesna

Post by vesna »

For model defined in kN, mm, sec, the displacement will be in mm. For model defined in kips, in, sec, the displacement will be in inches. To compare the numbers you will have to convert inches to mm.

I would not think that the SAWS material is unit sensitive. However, read the referenced material to confirm this.