Debugging DLL in runtime

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

alnagme

Debugging DLL in runtime

Post by alnagme »

Hi everybody,

I'm developing a new material for OpenSEES. I have already generated the dll file but it does not work properly yet, so I have to debug it (with VS 2005).

Does anybody know how to debug this dll while executing OpenSEES.exe? I have gone through the following instructions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 80%29.aspx

But when I input "source Push.tcl" in the console, OpenSEES.exe runs without stopping at the breakpoints of the cpp. file (and yes, I'm sure OpenSEES.exe reachs them). I think there could be some mistake in the location of the .dll o opensees.exe files.

I'll be very grateful for your answers.

Alberto Navarro
Graduate student in Civil Engineering
Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain
alnagme

Re: Debugging DLL in runtime

Post by alnagme »

I got this problem solved. I just recommend you being careful when writing the "working directory". This must be the location of the .dll, opensees.exe and .tcl archives.
waqasomer

Post by waqasomer »

Thankyou so much, it really helped alot!!
hobbylofty

Post by hobbylofty »

Hi, Alberto
I developed one new material for OpenSees and succeed in generating it as dll (for example named it as myMaterial.dll). Also the OpenSees can load myMaterial.dll file by testing in test.tcl script.
However, I found the material doesn't work properly. So I want to debug my dll solution (myMaterial.sln) in vs2010.
I put opensee.exe, the myMaterial.dll and the test.tcl in one directory and set the directory in the work directory.
After my solution was attached to the progress OpenSees.exe, I run the test.tcl in the OpenSees prompt, but the breakpoint could not be hit.

Then I carried out the following options: go to the menu Debug->window->module, I found in the module window that the myMaterial.dll was not loaded.
Do you have some solution to hit the breakpoint in the material.dll solution?

Zhihao
Department of structures
Rome Tre University