Beam with flexure and shear hinges

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

emretoprak

Beam with flexure and shear hinges

Post by emretoprak »

I am trying to model a simple supported with non-linear bending moment and non-linear shear behavior at the same time(uncoupled but can be aggregated).

At first, I thought assigning moment hinges at both ends (w/ zero length element) and a shear hinge at the middle would be proper.

i.e.
restraint---zerolength section element (uniaxial material EPP) --- elastic beam element --- zerolength section element (uniaxial material EPP) --- elastic beam element --- zerolength section element (uniaxial material EPP) --- restraint

then I can either do it with (distributed along element) nonlinear column/beam element with section aggregator asigned to both 2 uniaxial materials (for shear behavior and for flexure behavior).

Are these two options are adequate? Can you whoe me a simple applied example with shear hinge (or distributed along element)?

I thought that shear behavior can not be observed nonlinear with fiber sections in such case.

Thanks in advance.