speed of OpenSees

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Alexzhou

speed of OpenSees

Post by Alexzhou »

Hi, developers

I am recently looking into OpenSees. OpenSees is such a big library with OO design. I have a concern on the simulation speed of OpenSees. How's the speed performance of it? I hope I won't see much sacrifice of simulation time on most problems.

Have anyone done some comparative studies with other available commercial software (Ansys, Abaqus,etc) or non-commmercial software/code(such as FEAP, etc.) to show the performance of OpenSees?

Most of you must have done a lot of simulations already, even without explicit comparision, you must have general feeling on the performance issue. You opinions are really welcome and appreciated since I am wondering if I need invest more time to use OpenSees as my development platform.

Alex Zhou
fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk »

it is difficult to compare exactly .. there is a 5 to 15% hit when everything is the same .. depends on the model & time spent in the solver.
Boris

speed...

Post by Boris »

There are some template metaprograms techniques that I work on right now that will allow for speed-ups (in some cases significant ones).

but then again it is not advisable to compare with other packages, the best way to go is to make a list of features you need (want) and then decide which package to use...

BOris