ultimate curvature

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Olympia

ultimate curvature

Post by Olympia »

Dear all,

While analyzing my bridge model (NL time history analysis) I realized that the values of the ultimate curvature at the base of piers are too big (in order of 0.2 1/m). I used fiber section for the piers. I was wondering if the program does calculate the ultimate curvature of the section and where can I see that value?
Moreover in the Moment-curvature analysis example provided on the website, I think that the user has to define the ultimate curvature, that is why I am wondering if the program calculates the value or has to be defined somehow..

Thanks a lot,
Olympia
vesna

Re: ultimate curvature

Post by vesna »

The ultimate curvature has to be set by the user. In the case of fiber section you have to limit the strains of all materials in the section. This can be done by using MinMax material: http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... x_Material. With the fiber section you can not put the limits on curvature directly.

Here is one more comment: if you are using force-based element and too many integration points along the element you will get unrealistically big curvatures at the end points of the element. This problem can be rather solved by changing the number of integration points.