earthquake wave input

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

yinxia3690

earthquake wave input

Post by yinxia3690 »

Dear everyone,
I am analyzing the bridge response under earthquake.I need to input earthquake waves at different times into different piers.Every piers receive the same earthquake wave at different time.How could I realize it?
Thanks a lot!
deeps

Re: earthquake wave input

Post by deeps »

Hi yinxia3690,

I am also working on the modelling of a bridge (3D). I cant answer your doubt at this point of time . I have a doubt .
I have struck with my deck slab modelling . hope u r doing an RC bridge analysis. How do you modeled your deck slab?? which element have u used ?? Mass was assigned at the CG of the deck?? In my bridge the deck is a continuous box girder with no cap beams. How would u model that??

I gave the piers as elastic beams with hinges. But error is showing regarding the geomTransf .. how to give the Geom transf function ..

Please clarify my doubts as you can do it as u are also workng on a bridge modeling.

Happy New Year !!1
vesna

Re: earthquake wave input

Post by vesna »

Modify the displacement history of the earthquake to account for delay in the ground motion.
For example: assume you have 2 piers, the record contains 10 numbers {1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2} and you want to apply the load on the second pier after the 5th reading of the first pier. The record for the first pier will be {1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 0 0 0 0 0} and the record for the second pier will be {0 0 0 0 0 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2}. Use Multi-Support Exciatation Pattern to apply different motions at different columns. In the example manual you will find examples on Multi-Support Exciatations.