Opensees for Windows 8.1

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

sentosab

Opensees for Windows 8.1

Post by sentosab »

dear Moderator,

I've tried to install the last version of opensees in Windows 8.1 but It failed. Is there any advice for me to solve this problem?

Thank you before.
fmk
Site Admin

Re: Opensees for Windows 8.1

Post by fmk »

how did the installation fail?
sentosab

Post by sentosab »

The Tcl Program could not be installed in folder C:/Program Files/Tcl or C:/Program Files (86x)/Tcl . After that, I tried to install in C:/Tcl , Tcl was succesfully installed but the opensees didn't work.
fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk »

OpenSees is built assuming Tcl is where it is on our machines. the program wil not work unless it is there. why can't you put it there.
sentosab

Post by sentosab »

Thank you for your advice. Sorry, I didn't know about that before. Now, it is working.
jmorelos

Post by jmorelos »

I have Windows 8 and for some reason, I am unable to run Opensees with the Tcl folder located under C:\Program Files\Tcl. When I change the location to C:\Tcl, it works fine.
fanseagull

Post by fanseagull »

fmk wrote:
> OpenSees is built assuming Tcl is where it is on our machines. the program
> wil not work unless it is there. why can't you put it there.

I came across the same problem as the other guys, however, Tcl still couldn't work after it was installed successfully in C:/Tcl. When I tried to open any .tcl file, it displayed like "invalid command name 'wipe' while executing 'wipe' (file 'C:\Tcl\Exam01.tcl' line 1)" , which seems like it cannot read the files. And I asked another guy who use Win8, the same situation happened.
jcalvarez

Post by jcalvarez »

My friend had this problem as well. If you are still trying the way to install the Tcl to "C:\Programfiles\Tcl" you need to right click the install shortcut and click run as administrator. Then all the options when installing at the location will be opened.