nonlinear behavior

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

jefferyr

nonlinear behavior

Post by jefferyr »

Frank or Vesna,

I've been trying to model several actual column tests using nonlinearBeamColumn and beamWithHinges elements. The beamWithHinges element results in behavior dissimilar to actual test results When using nonlinearBeamColumn elements, the analysis stops prematurely. I've got a synopsis in a word document that describes what I've found using beamWithHinges and I can add to that to describe what I'm finding when using the other element. I've also talked to the author of beamWithHInges and haven't moved any further along. If I zipped up my directory with my files and the descriptive doc file, could you take a few minutes to see if you can find an obvious flaw with what I'm trying to do? The beamcolumn is R/C with poor longitudinal reinforcement and 4 longitudinal bars. I'm using OpenSees v2.1.0

Maybe before I send this, do you have an example of a R/C beamcolumn (lateral and axial loads) with actual test results, and also an accompanying opensees model that agrees nicely with the experimental results? Of course my preference would be to have an example of a square column with only corner longitudinal steel, since that's closest to my test case. This might allow me to find my own mistake. Then if I'm still having problems, I can send the files. Would this work?

Thanks,

Jeff