rotation of beam and column element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

n_siahpolo

rotation of beam and column element

Post by n_siahpolo »

Hi
I have modeled a 2 story building with nonlinearBeamColum. after pushover analysis i need the rotation of beam and column at specified section. How can find it?
i put this command:
recorder Element -file ele1sec1Defo2.out -ele 7 section 1 deformation
but i think above deformation in section 1 is strain and curvature not rotation.
fmk
Site Admin

Re: rotation of beam and column element

Post by fmk »

the deformation at a section is indeed axial strain and curvature .. we do not ouput the rotation at that point. if you are using displacement based elements you should be able to calculate it given the nodal rotations.
n_siahpolo

Post by n_siahpolo »

dear fmk
i used this element for example to model column:
element nonlinearBeamColumn 1 1 2 5 1 1 -iter 1000 1.0e-1
and i decide to calculate maximum absolute rotation of column at both end in different stories with nonlinear time history analysis. because i would like to calculate column rotation demand ductility which is the ratio of maximum rotation in each end due to NTHA to yield rotation of column. also i decide to develop ductility definition to beam at each story . So please help how can i record both end rotation of beam and column.
sabir

Post by sabir »

this is my problem too, please help us