GSA Recorder

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Andrew

GSA Recorder

Post by Andrew »

I am just returning to OpenSees after a little time away (three years!), and I was trying to run some old scripts. I find that the GSA Recorder does not work any longer. Any pointers on how to get it working again?

http://opensees.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cv ... r/#dirlist
silvia

Post by silvia »

gsa recorder?
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
Andrew

GSA Recorder

Post by Andrew »

Hi Silvia,

Greetings from Hong Kong!

Maybe I should have posted this in the developers part.

A few years ago, Frank kindly wrote a recorder to export OpenSees results in a format that is directly readable by "GSA", which is our (Arup's) analysis software. GSA (which incidentally is free for academic use) currently writes out geometry files in Tcl format, but it doesn't set up the analysis, and I haven't properly checked that everything works properly. I did manage to do an analysis in the past and to read the results back into GSA, where I was able to view the results.

After rather a long break from this, I am trying to see if I can get GSA working with OpenSees again, but I find that the recorder now does not work, and in fact it actually crashes OpenSees. Presumably there have been some changes to the way that recorders work, or perhaps in the way that the beam-column elements output results. However, I am not knowledgeable enough to identify this. Do you think Frank or someone could help me identify what has changed and why the input file is crashing OpenSees? In the meantime I have been getting more familiar with programming etc, but I am still not fully up to doing this myself.
fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk »

Hi Andrew,

We have not updated the GSA recorder stuff. We met with people at Ove Arup, including Steve Hendry, back in July. We agreed that
we needed to agree on an xml output format
that was not GSA specific, but that GSA would
be able to process. We sent Steve stuff on this.
Neither side has followed up on it.

frank
Andrew

OpenSees and Oasys GSA

Post by Andrew »

I have checked back with Steve Hendry, and I understand that they are moving ahead. They are currently implementing appropriate data structures in GSA, and are working on XML export. Results import back into GSA is still a little way off.
PeterDebney

Re: GSA Recorder

Post by PeterDebney »

While this is a little old, I am just tiding up the loose thread: GSA implemented the updated OpenSees export in version 8.5 back in 2010.