Problem with modifying existed element

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

lkang6

Problem with modifying existed element

Post by lkang6 »

Hi, I have a problem. Will you please tell me what may be the problem? I am so confused ..Thank you so much!

I want to modify the existed element "BeamColumnJoint" by adding a new parameter in the element. I just added a few lines into the original beamColumnJoint2d.cpp and beamColumnJoint2d.h files.

And then I try to make a .dll file following the 24 steps in WindowsInstructions. But 50 errors appear when I build it.

Error 1 error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'Vector' c:\1aliping\openseesdeveloper\element\beamcolumnjoint2d2.h 196
Error 2 error C2065: 'ELE_TAG_BeamColumnJoint2d2' : undeclared identifier c:\1aliping\openseesdeveloper\element\beamcolumnjoint2d2.cpp 67
Error 14 error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{' c:\1aliping\openseesdeveloper\element\beamcolumnjoint2d2.cpp 351
Error 15 error C2601: 'BeamColumnJoint2d2::getNumExternalNodes' : local function definitions are illegal c:\1aliping\openseesdeveloper\element\beamcolumnjoint2d2.cpp 365
Error 49 error C2601: 'BeamColumnJoint2d2::updateParameter' : local function definitions are illegal c:\1aliping\openseesdeveloper\element\beamcolumnjoint2d2.cpp 1418
Error 50 fatal error C1004: unexpected end-of-file found c:\1aliping\openseesdeveloper\element\beamcolumnjoint2d2.cpp 1422

What I changed to the original file is to add more lines into it. But why there are so many syntax errors? What is the the meaning of "local function definitions are illegal"?

Will you help me out? Thank you so much!
-kang
lkang6

Re: Problem with modifying existed element

Post by lkang6 »

I found the mistakes. I should use the same version of the OpenSEES and its element code. That is why I have so many "local function definitions are illegal". The syntax errors appeared because I forgot the comma behind the variable. Another problem is that the capital or lower case of the letter matters. It is better to be consistent. After careful checking, it works now! Yeah....