Changing Axial Force in Element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

MichaelDupuis

Changing Axial Force in Element

Post by MichaelDupuis »

Hello Everyone, thanks for reading and helping if you can,

I am modelling cantilevered concrete shear walls with a fiber section and dispbeamColumn element in the plastic hinge zone, and elastic beam columns for the higher storeys. The dispBeamColumn element has four integration sections along its length:

element dispBeamColumn 1 1 2 4 1 1;

The walls are subjected to axial dead (self weight) load as well as a lateral strong ground motion record. My model works however when I record the axial force and displacements in the dispBeamColumn using the following section recorders, the axial force and displacements vary by section (along the length of the element). The dispBeamColumn element only exists below the first storey. This doesn't make any sense to me, I am not applying any loads along the length of the element, how can the axial force be varying? If I take the average of the axial forces in the 4 sections at any given time, the result is correct.

recorder Element -file "${outdir}/hyst-F1.txt" -time -ele 1 section 1 force;
recorder Element -file "${outdir}/hyst-F2.txt" -time -ele 1 section 2 force;
recorder Element -file "${outdir}/hyst-F3.txt" -time -ele 1 section 3 force;
recorder Element -file "${outdir}/hyst-F4.txt" -time -ele 1 section 4 force;
recorder Element -file "${outdir}/hyst-D1.txt" -time -ele 1 section 1 deformation;
recorder Element -file "${outdir}/hyst-D2.txt" -time -ele 1 section 2 deformation;
recorder Element -file "${outdir}/hyst-D3.txt" -time -ele 1 section 3 deformation;
recorder Element -file "${outdir}/hyst-D4.txt" -time -ele 1 section 4 deformation;

What am I missing? Are my assumptions incorrect?
Thanks for anything and everything you can provide!
Mike
MichaelDupuis

Re: Changing Axial Force in Element

Post by MichaelDupuis »

Bringing to top
MichaelDupuis

Re: Changing Axial Force in Element

Post by MichaelDupuis »

Sorry, I have found the solution in another thread:

http://opensees.berkeley.edu/community/ ... php?t=8352