[New Material]- ElasticPlastic Slip-lock material.

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Nero

[New Material]- ElasticPlastic Slip-lock material.

Post by Nero »

I have created a new material that I though some of you may find useful. It is what I call a "slip-lock" material. It behaves just like a typical elastic-plastic material (you specify E, fy, and a hardening ratio), but you also specify the number of analysis steps you want to perform until the material becomes active. For the first x steps of the analysis, the material has zero stiffness, then on the x+1 step, whatever the strain the material has, it is assumed to have zero stress. This is very useful for making connections to a post-tensioned member, if you want that connection to take place after the post-tensioning has happened (ex- you want the connected member to have zero stress after the member deformation due to the post-tensioning). This material can also be used to create a post-tensioned member. Simply apply an axial force to the member you want to post tension, put a truss member with a slip-lock material in parallel with it, then in the second analysis step, release the axial force.

I will be happy to post it when it is all done (in a few days) if there is any interest in this material.
silvia

Post by silvia »

Sure thing,
if you send me your e-mail, I can send you a template for the documentation.
Please make sure you test it well and give examples.
Please get in touch with Frank to check the requirements for incorporating it.

silvia
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
Nero

Post by Nero »

silvia wrote:Sure thing,
if you send me your e-mail, I can send you a template for the documentation.
Please make sure you test it well and give examples.
Please get in touch with Frank to check the requirements for incorporating it.

silvia
Will do- it will be tested prettey heavily on a project I am currently working on.

I should also mention- there is also a "partner" material called "Elastic Lock-slip" which does just the opposite- it is active from analysis step 0 to the specified step. This is good for creating supports for slip-lock elements until they are active. For example- if you are connecting a leaning column to a 2D post-tensioned frame, and the connection between the column and frame is a zero length spring to simulate diaghram stiffness. You would make the zero-length springs a slip-lock material (so that they aren't stressed by nodal displacements during post-tensioning that occurs in the first step) and for this step have the leaning column supported by a lock-slip material, that shuts off after the first step. This way, your leaning column is supported while the slip-lock material is inactive, but once the slip-lock material becomes active, the supports "go away".
JCEE

Post by JCEE »

Hi,
where would we obtain this new material if possible? thanks
Nero

Post by Nero »

JCEE-

I never ended up submitting the slip-lock material to FMK. I'll drop him an email, and see if he wants to add it. Otherwise, feel free to drop me a PM here with your email address, and I can email you the source code.
sriram

Post by sriram »

Hi Nero,

I want to try your material model for modeling post-tensioing. so where can get the model ? is it going to be released soon??

-sriram