PathSeries could not open file on Mac OS 10.6

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

lynne.burks

PathSeries could not open file on Mac OS 10.6

Post by lynne.burks »

I am trying to run a dynamic time history analysis on a simple SDOF oscillator, and I am getting the following error:

WARNING - PathSeries::PathSeries() - could not open file ~/OpenSees/SDOF/GroundMotions/NR94cnp.tcl

The weird thing is that I only get this error when I try to run my script on Mac OS 10.6.6. When I run the exact same script in Windows 7, I don't get any PathSeries error, my analysis works just fine and gives me a reasonable solution. In Mac OS 10.6.6, the ground motion is never opened and the analysis "completes", but no output file is created from my recorder.

Does anyone know why OpenSees might not be working on my mac? I'm new to OpenSees, so its very possible that I did something wrong while installing it. The installation instructions for a mac are not very clear. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated!
enginbal

Re: PathSeries could not open file on Mac OS 10.6

Post by enginbal »

I have the same problem. When I source files they work only if I define the full path... And this happens only if I run the input file in Mac, no problem in PC.
Dr. Ihsan Engin BAL
Researcher, EUCENTRE, Pavia, Italy
lynne.burks

Re: PathSeries could not open file on Mac OS 10.6

Post by lynne.burks »

I got my script to work by using the linux command "cd" to get into the directory that my main script is stored in, then running it from there. And I changed my scripts to source all my files without defining the full directory, only the relative directory from where my main script is.

Previously, I was defining the full path of all my files and then running my analysis like this:
OpenSees > source ~/OpenSees/SDOF/RunAnalysis.tcl

But when I change my scripts to only define the local path of my files and I run my analysis like this, it works:
OpenSees > cd ~/OpenSees/SDOF
OpenSees > source RunAnalysis.tcl