Transverse reinforcement

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

buddhasarah

Transverse reinforcement

Post by buddhasarah »

Hello, I am trying to perform two pushover analysis of two columns with different transverse reinforcements. A single force based element is used for these two columns respectively and uniaxial concrete and steel material are used for longitudinal reinforcements. The problem is I don't know how to model the difference in transverse reinforcements, is there any way to model the difference in transverse reinforcements?

Thank you in advance!
vesna

Post by vesna »

My suggestion is to make a column model with the transverse reinforcement of case 1, to run the analysis and save the data. Then, on the same model, change the transverse reinforcement to case 2, define recorders with a different name of output files and run the analysis.
buddhasarah

Post by buddhasarah »

Vesna, thank you for your reply

Actually my question is how to model the transverse reinforcement. In my opinion, hoop bars can't be directly modeled in a 1 demensional element, so I tried to express the effect of hoop bars by adjusting the strength of core concrete due to the confinement of hoop bars. I think this is one way to express the effect of hoop bars but I want to know how other people treat it, I want to know if there are some other more efficient way to model it (the calculation of confine concrete is a little cumbersome).
vesna

Post by vesna »

Sorry for the previous answer.

There is no way to directly model transverse reinforcement in OpenSees. Whoever tries to account for transverse reinforcement in concrete column does what you mentioned; adjust the strength of the concrete core to account for confinement action that comes from transverse reinforcement.
buddhasarah

Post by buddhasarah »

Vesna, Thank you for your reply ^^
sajad.gh

transverse ratio

Post by sajad.gh »

Hi Dear buddhasarah

If you consider the transverse ratio effects for calculation of plastic rotation and ultimate rotation capacity in each section of structural element,
You can change the Strain in f'c (eps_0) and Ultimate Strain and f'c (eps_cu) and f'c based on "Kent-Park-Scott Concrete Model(concrete01)"(in core concrete) for the score of transverse ratio effects in your models. (without the consideration of shear effects!)

Respectfully,

Sadjad.Gh
UK-Iran
sajad.gh

Post by sajad.gh »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dear buddhasarah

If you consider the transverse ratio effects for calculation of plastic rotation and ultimate rotation capacity in each section of structural element,
You can change the Strain in f'c (eps_0) and Ultimate Strain (eps_cu) and f'c based on "Kent-Park-Scott Concrete Model(concrete01)"(in core concrete) for the score of transverse ratio effects in your models. (without the consideration of shear effects!)

Respectfully,

Sadjad.Gh
UK-Iran
buddhasarah

Post by buddhasarah »

Dear sajad.gh
Thank you for your help!