shear deformation

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

khatibi_m

shear deformation

Post by khatibi_m »

Dear Dr silvia

I modeled the 2-D frame (by one storey and one bay) beamWithHinges element. I would consider shear deformation and flexural deformation in elements by section aggregator. the analysis is pushover. I have 2 questions:
1- Is stiffness of shear for considering shear deformation G or GA?
2- Does the section aggregator consider nonlinear deformation due shear force? how can nonlinear deformation due shear force consider in analysis?
silvia

Post by silvia »

you assign a nonlinear uniaxialMaterial to define the shear response -- you can use hysteretic, and then aggregate that section on.

right now yes, you can do nonlinear shear, just not coupled with other responses.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
khatibi_m

geomTransf Linear

Post by khatibi_m »

Thanks Dr silvia.
I used geomTransf Linear for beam and column. This commend can be same for all elements. I don't know direction of local y and z axes in section. I studied the manual, but I didn't find the these directions. I consider shear deformation in all elements.
how can I use geomTransf Linear for this work? how is the direction of local z and y axes in section for beam and column? which is Vy and Vz is used in section aggregator for beam and column?
silvia

Post by silvia »

in 2D, the Z axis is out of plane.
when you define the section, you should have y and z axes.
in 3D, look at the manual description.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104