elastomeric bearing modelling

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

fabbrob1

elastomeric bearing modelling

Post by fabbrob1 »

hi,

i am studying a bridge before and after retrofitting and i need to model the elastomeric bearing.

for the original model,i put a MPconstraint (rigid link constraint: beam) between the upper node of the column and the node of the deck (which is not the same)

now i have to simulate the elastomeric bearing, in longitudinal and transversal direction. A bi-linear spring.

i have not two nodes at the same point to use the zero lenght element.

So, how can i model it?

Truss element? does it work also without flexural resistance? (the bearing works only in longitudinal and transversal directions)

And for the material? Hysteretic?

Thank you very much
silvia

Post by silvia »

zero-length element. the hysteretic material is good, but how are you going to model the damping?
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
fabbrob1

Post by fabbrob1 »

the beams of the deck are connected with a zerolenght element above the column, between them, and also to the trasversal beam. But between this node and the upper node of the column i put the rigid link constraint with a free space to simulate the distance due to the trasversal beam.

so i cannot use the zerolenght element to substitute this link.

do you think it is better if i change the model?
silvia

Post by silvia »

it's up to you.
remember, you can use rigid offsets, specified in the transformation command, and equalDOF commands.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104