processing SAC Ground Motions

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

ca493

processing SAC Ground Motions

Post by ca493 »

Hi Silvia,

you dont happen to have any .tcl script that converts the SAC ground motions into a format that can be read by OpenSees do you? :D

I can change the heading of the SAC GMs so that they are like the PEER GMs (so they can be read by ReadSMDFile.tcl), however, the SAC GMs have 6 columns of data as opposed to 5 columns in the PEER GMs. OpenSees seems to be able to read it and apply the accelerations but i am unsure if they are correct. Do the 6 columns make a difference?

Thanks!
silvia

Post by silvia »

the script reads line by line, so you should be okey.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
dobi3

Post by dobi3 »

Dr. Silvia,

I am also trying to run SAC GMs, but OpenSees gives me a convergence error at the beginning of the record (3.45 sec). The time step for input ground motion is 0.02 sec, and for the time-step Dt for lateral analysis I select a small value (as little as 0.00005 sec). I tried scaling down the record as well, but nothing helped.

If OpenSees reads the record line by line (and having 6 columns instead of 5 is really not the problem I encounter), do you have any suggestions for the origin of my error massage?

Thank you very much!
dobi3

Post by dobi3 »

I forgot to mention that the model runs just fine when PEER GMs records are used. So, I know the problem is in applying the SAC GMs.
silvia

Post by silvia »

the peer gm's are scaled by g by the script, as they are specified as a factor of g.
are the sac ground motions already scaled by g? if so, remove the scaling in the script..... it may be 10x too big.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
dobi3

Post by dobi3 »

That's it! They are not scaled by g and the units are in metric.

Thank you very much, Dr. Silvia! :D