strain hardening

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

civily

strain hardening

Post by civily »

Hello all,

I'm performing a large deflection analysis of steel beams. I'd like to incorporate strain hardening in material but existing "Steel" materials do not match with my intentions. The definition of ReinforcingSteel material seems to be closer to what I want but I guess this is intended to be used for reinforcement. In fact I tried it, but it failed to run, the window disappears once it gets to define the elements. Seems like a material compatibility issue.
Is there any way that I can assign material having conventional stress-strain relationship for structural steel?
(i.e backbone,strain degradation etc.)

Thanks in advance...
silvia

Post by silvia »

the best material might be the hysteretic material.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
civily

Post by civily »

Hi Silvia,
Thanks for reply..I was wondering if ReinforcingSteel material could be used/modified for structural steel..or is there a way to define stress-strain relationship as in that material. I guess the relationship could be approximated by using hysteretic material but there'd be no reason to do that if we can use the conventional curve.

Thanks,
silvia

Post by silvia »

i have had too many problems with reinforcing steel in a model that is larger than a single truss....
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104