number of integration points of beam

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

chjjj

number of integration points of beam

Post by chjjj »

If a beam element has three different sections (the middle span section is different from the end sections of the beam), how many integration points will be appropriate for the beam?

If three integration points is enough for the beam and column element?

thanks
silvia

Post by silvia »

while I haven't quite done it that way, with different sections along one element, you might want to test it out, compare pushover curves depending on the number of integration points.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
chjjj

Post by chjjj »

If I use different integration points for beam or column element(both use three or both use five), the results are obviously different when the steel bar has yield.
So, how many integration points will be appropriate?
:? :?
silvia

Post by silvia »

i usually have 4 or 5.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104
hachem

Post by hachem »

You may want to consider using 3 elements instead of one, especially if the member steps in size (not tapered).

If your element is tapered, you need to figure out the number of integration points that give you reasonable integration point "weights". You still may want to consider multiple elements, as this will give you more control over the integration scheme.

Be careful about having too many integration points (more than 4 or 5), especially if you have softening behavior. I usually try to limit the number of integration points to 3-5, but I've occasionally used 2 on small elements.
Boris

different sections

Post by Boris »

Hachem is right, try with three beams, it is not wrong to use one beam, provided that your centroid does not change. However if the centroid of the cross section is shifted away, and if you have measurable normal forces in the beam, you'll end up with a lot of moment where those beams meet!

Boris
fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk »

if you go to more than 1 element and your materials degrade, i.e. concrete, you may need to switch to using the dispBeamColumn element, as the forceBeamColumn element may develop convergence problems .. as you add more dispBeamColumn elements you will get global convergence problems as well! .. be warned that the choice of elements and # of integration points for systems of degrading materials can have a big impact on the response.
bufa

Post by bufa »

[quote="hachem"]
Be careful about having too many integration points (more than 4 or 5), especially if you have softening behavior. I usually try to limit the number of integration points to 3-5, but I've occasionally used 2 on small elements.[/quote]

in effect with a degrading material - I did some analysis with concrete04 - NIP has a great influence on results inducing also, when it is high (8 or more) convegence problems. why?