employ more system resource

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

lvy

employ more system resource

Post by lvy »

I find a very strange problem. When you compute with Opensees, and it just employs about 50% system capability, even for the server with 2 CPUs. I want to know how to improve its performance.
Boris

use parallel version

Post by Boris »

this is a limitation by the operating system, you are using sequantial version, it uses only single CPU at all times...

Parallel version actually does use any number of CPUs it is told to...

Boris
lvy

Post by lvy »

I'm using 1.6.2 version, and it also employs about 50% system capability on Windows system of PC. I want to know how to get a parallel version.
Boris

parallel version

Post by Boris »

Parallel version is being cleaned up and will be uploaded to CVS some time in October (hopefully).
It is not for windows, unless you manage to compile and link with MPI for windows...

Rather, it is for distributed memory parallel machines runing various flavors of UNIX (was developed on linux...).

BOris
hachem

Re: parallel version

Post by hachem »

I'm not sure what type of problem you are trying to solve, but this may also happen if you are writing a lot of information to the hard disk. If that is the case, try turning off your recorders and check to see if you get an improvement.
Boris wrote:Parallel version is being cleaned up and will be uploaded to CVS some time in October (hopefully).
It is not for windows, unless you manage to compile and link with MPI for windows...

Rather, it is for distributed memory parallel machines runing various flavors of UNIX (was developed on linux...).

BOris
lvy

Post by lvy »

Thanks a lot! I don't mind the computational efficiency, just wonder what was going on.
neallee

parallel,my god

Post by neallee »

thanks for the OPENSEES parallel version!
i was waiting for this for a long time !~! :lol:
Li Ning, Ph.D. and Professor of Civil Engineering
TJU, China