Nonlinear analysis with displacement controlled loading

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Ashok

Nonlinear analysis with displacement controlled loading

Post by Ashok »

I am doing pushover analysis for a frame with non-linear connections. When a apply lateral displacement controlled loading in steps (as we do in a non-linear analysis), I am able to get the load-displacement curve of the frame.

But there is one issue. The curve I am getting is of the same shape as the experimental counterpart, but its scaled down around 12 to 16 times
on the force axis. i.e. when I multiply the output force values (reactions at the supports) by some value, say 12.3, I am getting the exact load - displacement curve. I am unable to understand why there is such scale down. Displacement axis is matching exactly.

Kindly help me out, please!

Thank you.
jonade

Re: Nonlinear analysis with displacement controlled loading

Post by jonade »

Start by checking if the unit conversions you used are correct. Then try to check if all material properties, section dimensions, applied displacement,... are all in the unit that you are expecting. Try to print out this values and check if they are in the correct unit values you are expecting them to be or not.
Ashok

Re: Nonlinear analysis with displacement controlled loading

Post by Ashok »

I checked, but couldn't find any wrong in unit conversions. My units are consistent.