Bouc-Wen Material

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

joseacs

Bouc-Wen Material

Post by joseacs »

Hi,

I want to model a ZeroLength Element with the Bouc-Wen material (OpenSees wiki link: https://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/inde ... n_Material), and I have 2 questions:

1.- I don't know what parameters A0 and deltaA mean. The wiki says: parameters that control tangent stiffness, but nothing more.
2.- How can I add a yield strength to the model?

Thank you.
IsmBaha

Re: Bouc-Wen Material

Post by IsmBaha »

You need to look at the diff equation of the Bouc-Wen model on the reference documents at the bottom of the page on the link you sent.
You can also test you material to see the effects different parameters; e.g., refer to https://opensees.berkeley.edu/OpenSees/ ... al/751.htm

The definition of yield strength and yield deformation in Bouc-Wen models is a bit different and are controlled by the parameters. Typically Bouc-Wen has smooth cyclic reversals and effective/equivalent yield strength and yield deformation. If you are trying to have sharp returns with explicit yield deformation & strength, you need to control that by the order (one of the parameters, typically shown as "n") in the equation. Again for that, refer to documents (& equations) and test your material, plot it and see what you defined.

Regards,
Baha
hamidkhodadadi

Post by hamidkhodadadi »

Hi
just the script for testing uniaxial materials with a single DOF truss which you have posted, doesn't work. the force out put of truss element is zero. do you have any other script in this regard.
Many thanks.
IsmBaha

Post by IsmBaha »

What is the error message?
It should work with the original example!
There may be some other scripts, search for "material test opensees" in the forum or google. There is many ways that you can test the material, the link I gave above is just an example.

Baha