Zero length element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

jonade

Zero length element

Post by jonade »

I wanted to assign material for zero length element only in the z rotation. I know opensees is unitless but for rotation, I am not sure how opensees works. How will opensees determine the rotation is in degrees or radian?
Prafullamalla

Re: Zero length element

Post by Prafullamalla »

uniaxialMaterial Steel02 $SpringM2Tag $M1 $MTheta 0.001 18.0 0.925 0.15;
element zeroLength 1 1 2 -mat $SpringM2Tag -dir 3

Here M1(Nmm) is moment and MTheta is slope of moment and rotation curve(radian)
Prafulla Malla, Nepal
Praf_malla@hotmail.com
jonade

Post by jonade »

Thank you
selimgunay

Post by selimgunay »

Rotation does not have a unit, and moment units should be consistent with the remainder of the model

element zeroLength 1 1 2 -mat $SpringM2Tag -dir 3

If you do this, you will have zero stiffness springs in all the other dof. If you want the other dof to be rigid, you should use equal displacement
jonade

Post by jonade »

Thank you selimgunay. so if rotation is unitless does it mean I need to make the rotation unitless, if moment and rotation curve of the material is specified in knm and radian respectively. Since I am recording the deformation of the zerolength element i need to know which unit it is using.
Prafullamalla

Post by Prafullamalla »

Thanks
Since your unit of Force is kN, and displacement is mm, your deformation will be in mm
Prafulla Malla, Nepal
Praf_malla@hotmail.com
selimgunay

Post by selimgunay »

That is not correct. Rotation should be unitless and moment should be in kNm if the force and displacement units in the remainder of the file are kN and m respectively
jonade

Post by jonade »

i am grateful for your swift replies. But I still can't understand how I can make my rotation unitless.i have from experiment the dampers Moment(Knm) vs Rotational(radians) curve. And I want to use this data to model it as a zero-length element in opensees. So how can I specify the material properties in opensees? how can I make the rotation unitless? I had previously used the experiment result to define the moment in knm and the rotation in radians. and I thought the recorded results would also have the same unit.
selimgunay

Post by selimgunay »

That is correct, if you defined the moment in KNm and the rotation radians, recorders will have the same units
jonade

Post by jonade »

Thank you very much selimgunay