Using MVLEM Element Command for Modeling RC Walls

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

afshina

Using MVLEM Element Command for Modeling RC Walls

Post by afshina »

Hello Dear
I like to use MVLEM Element Command for Modeling a RC Wall. Could you please explain about my opacities?
1- Why the height was separated to 17 points in the relevant (.tcl) code? In other words, I’d like to know that is node 17 for top of building or is for top of story?
(MVLEM_RW2.tcl):
node 1 0 0;
node 2 0 1.25;
node 3 0 1.75;
node 4 0 2.0;
node 5 0 5.25;
node 6 0 9.0;
node 7 0 18.0;
node 8 0 30.0;
node 9 0 36.0;
node 10 0 37.25;
node 11 0 37.75;
node 12 0 54.0;
node 13 0 72.0;
node 14 0 90.0;
node 15 0 108.0;
node 16 0 126.0;
node 17 0 $H;
2- It goes without saying that the axial/flexural response of the MVLEM is simulated by a series of uniaxial elements (or macro-fibers) connected to the rigid beams at the top and bottom (e.g., floor) levels. Is this statement means that we should add an extra node in middle of the beam to assign MVLEM Element?
Thanks a lot for your kindness.
KristijanKolozvari

Re: Using MVLEM Element Command for Modeling RC Walls

Post by KristijanKolozvari »

Hi,

1) There are 17 nodes to match the location of elements with instrumentation in the wall so we can do 1-to-1 strain comparison. You dont HAVE to use this many elements. probably 4-5 would give you very similar result.

2) I am not sure if I understand your question. The element is a 2-node (controid) element, just like show in the figure of the WikiPage. Are you trying to connect beams to the wall elements?

Kristijan
afshina

Post by afshina »

Hi Dear, Thanks a lot for your reply.
1- I want to know locations of End node tags ($iNode and $jNode) in this command:
Element MVLEM $eleTag $Dens $iNode $jNode $m……..
2- How can I calculate Number of element macro-fibers($m) in this command?
3-I think a concrete shear wall just should be connected to rigid diaphraghm (like columns). According to this idea, I add some extra nodes in middle of the beams in each story, to create MVLEM Element.
Thanks a lot for your kindness.
schoolstru

Post by schoolstru »

Hello Dear
Is MVLEM element command only for 2-D Modelling? because i tried this command in 3-D model, So the nodes' coordinate had three coord; after runnig this message "two coords reguired at nodes" appear; i appreciate you in advance for your answers.
afshina

Post by afshina »

Hello
you shouldn't use this command for 3-d models, because frist line of this Command_Manual states:
"The MVLEM element command is used to generate a two-dimensional Multiple-Vertical-Line-Element-Model "

http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... r_RC_Walls