Liquefaction in sands

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

papaloo

Liquefaction in sands

Post by papaloo »

Hi
Would you please let me know if there is any code for liquefaction modeling in a sand layer?
skamalzare

Re: Liquefaction in sands

Post by skamalzare »

You can use PressureDependMultiYield02 or Manzari Dafalias materials (in family of ND Materials). These two constitutive models are especially built for sands and are capable of predicting liquefaction. You need to implement them in quad or quadUP elements.

Bests,
SK
---
PhD, EIT, Geotechnical Engineer
Condon-Johnson & Associates INC
papaloo

Post by papaloo »

thanks a lot for your response. But, my main objective is modelling liquefaction in partially saturated sands. Which model and element would be most appropriate for this issue? If there is not any, how we can modify available models to achieve the partial saturation state?
skamalzare

Post by skamalzare »

Interesting question!

I am not sure if there is any constitutive model capable of predicting unsaturated states. The topic itself is under discussion and is not well established. We simply don't have a clear understanding of effective stress in unsaturated states. Prof. Lu has contributed lots of research on the topic and has come out with new definitions of effective stress. You might want to look at his works.

For numerical modeling, I expect unsaturated soils to have higher resistance against liquefaction. You can model stronger materials in saturated states to resemble unsaturated states.

Bests,
SK
---
PhD, EIT, Geotechnical Engineer
Condon-Johnson & Associates INC