Can rigidDiaphragm and truss element work together?

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Jpc

Can rigidDiaphragm and truss element work together?

Post by Jpc »

Dear anyone ,
Hi, I have some problem with my model , I use pinching4 material to simulate steel plate sheathed shear wall , then replaced the steel plate with truss elements, this way works well in my 2D model , but after I apply this shear wall in my 2-story cold formed steel framed building , which is 3D modeled , I found that the period of the model is too large , I tried to find what's wrong , now I found that maybe I used truss element with rigidDiaphragm together result in this problem , because there is a saying about rigidDiaphragm on OpenSees Command Manual that " The constraint object is constructed assuming small rotations",is that possible?
fmk
Site Admin

Re: Can rigidDiaphragm and truss element work together?

Post by fmk »

you can use Truss elements with rigid diaphragm, the small angle we refer to is the rotation of the floor ( as the displacements at the nodes that are constrained are simple the rotation times the nodal offsets from retained node)
Jpc

Post by Jpc »

I made a little mistake in my model , thank you very much for your help, fmk! :D
afshinafshin

Post by afshinafshin »

Dear jpc. can you explain more what you did ? i have this problem too.
ningxz

Post by ningxz »

dear jpc, which element did you use to simulate shear wall?