Help Me !! Opensees Navigator

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Maitos

Help Me !! Opensees Navigator

Post by Maitos »

I put a spring in the middle of a precise beam. I defined the element "Two Node LinK." I would like to know what is the command to insert the spring in a point of the beam in the program OpenSees Navigator? thanks
aschellenberg

Re: Help Me !! Opensees Navigator

Post by aschellenberg »

There is no command in OpenSeesNavigator to insert springs automatically into frame elements. You will need to break up the frame element at the location where you want to insert the spring and create two new nodes there and connect them by adding a new element. If you created the two nodes at the same location (meaning that the new element has zero length) you can then use the zeroLength element or the twoNodeLink element to assign springs. If the two nodes you created have different locations (meaning that the new element has a finite length) you can use the twoNodeLink element to assign the springs.
katerinacivil

Post by katerinacivil »

Hi,
I want to model an SSI problem and i wonder if OpenSeesNavigator is appropriate for this case.
Specifically, i am using plane strain quad elements (ndf) for soil and elastic beamcolumn elements (ndf=3) for the strusture. I open the model from a matlab file, where i have defined all the data. I have defined a 2D problem with 2DOF (ndm=2 - ndf=2). But for every node and element of the frame structure i have defined 3DOF. When finally, the .tcl files are written and i run opensees, there is a warning that the NDM = 2 and NDF = 2is imcompatible with available frame elements. Is there any way to make it work?

Thanks in advance
skamalzare

Post by skamalzare »

Katerina,

You can define a set of 2DOF pseudo nodes at the place of your structural nodes, and then connect these nodes to your quad elements (2DOF) with springs or any other connection type.
After that connect your pseudo nodes with EqualDOF command to the 3DOF structures nodes (make pseudo nodes slaves and structural nodes master and connect them in x and y).
---
PhD, EIT, Geotechnical Engineer
Condon-Johnson & Associates INC
katerinacivil

Post by katerinacivil »

skamalzare,

thank you for your quick response!!!!
I have already done it, but only for the structural nodes where i defined the masses. Even when I do that for all nodes , i keep getting the same message.
Have you ever try it in Navigator??
skamalzare

Post by skamalzare »

Katerina,

I work with GiD and geotechnical problems. I had your problem when I wanted to contact soil quad elements to pile beam elements. I was receiving the error message, but with the method I told you it was totally fixed.
---
PhD, EIT, Geotechnical Engineer
Condon-Johnson & Associates INC
duyduan

Can't wirte Opensees Input Files from Opensees Navigator

Post by duyduan »

Dear everyone,

I am using Opensees Navigator Ver. 2.5.3 to model a bridge structure. So, After define and Assign input parameters, I cannot write Tlc input file.
Can anyone help me to solve this error? Thank you very much.