Zero length element in Gid

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

mhm

Zero length element in Gid

Post by mhm »

Hello
I need to define zero length element in Gid software for considering interface and absorbing boundaries. Is there anybody know how I can define this element?
dschavan83

Re: Zero length element in Gid

Post by dschavan83 »

hi
create dummy nodes at the bounary of your model. dummy nodes are the nodes having same coordinates as those of boundary nodes of your model. but these are additional nodes you have generated for sake of defining zero length elements.now define zerolength element between boundary node and dummy node.
clespie

Re: Zero length element in Gid

Post by clespie »

Hello
I recently encountered a similar problem when I tried to apply zero length elements in Gid. I did connect the soil nodes and the pile nodes in my model. Unfortunately, I got the following info:
Message in line number 108. Error: ZeroLength Element with only 1 node. ZeroLength elements must be assigned to at least 2 nodes. Also check if you have assigned ZeroLength between nodes with different DOFs. ZeroLength Element's nodes MUST have the same number of DOFs.
I would be very grateful if any suggestions on how I can correctly apply the zerolength elements?